Don’t suffer from dry eyes this winter! If you need further relief, set up your dry eye evaluation today!
6 Tips to Fight Dry Eyes This Winter!
1.Stay hydrated: During the winter months it is important to drink plenty of water. This is especially relevant for those patients who are frequent flyers. those taking medications for allergies, or on medications alleviate cold symptoms. Keep in mind: coffee and tea may keep you warm, but they are diuretics, therefore not a substitute for water.
2. Use a humidifier in the bedroom. In the winter, the heat inside of our homes leads to less moisture in the air. This results in dry eyes and skin. Make sure to lower the heat overnight while you are sleeping and add a humidifier to bring moisture back into your environment.
3. Keep away from electronic devices: Cell phones, tablets and computer screens can irritate your eyes. When you are looking at a screen you are less likely to blink. Blinking helps to refresh your tear film which is important for hydration. If you need to use electronic devices, make sure to take a break every 20 minutes.
4. Eye protection: Make sure to wear sunglasses and well fitted goggles for outdoor activities. The wind and cold air can contribute to dryness. Also, the suns harmful rays are dangerous, even in the winter, so protect your eyes year round.
5. Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements: 1000 mg a day decrease inflammation which can be associated with dry eye.
6. Artificial tears: Re-wetting drops temporarily alleviate symptoms of dry eye during the day. Night time ointments (such as GenTeal and Refresh PM) are also beneficial and can decrease your need for drops during the day.